Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The other shoe drops - And then there was light.

Well, Burton Group delivers the knockout punch IMHO.

What a difference a year makes.

Welcome Anne Thomas Manes. Anne is wicked smart - that is a fact.

May 09, 2006: I'm one of the folks responsible for mixing the Kool-Aid. I presented at the W3C Workshop on Web Services (representing Sun). I participated in numerous standardization efforts at W3C, OASIS, WS-I, uddi.org, and JCP. I have a vested interest in making sure that WS-* succeeds.

May 30, 2007: If you're ready for REST I suggest you jump on board right away and get ahead of the curve," she said. "You'll have to train your developers in REST principles. You'll probably want to adopt one of the new frameworks or help build one yourself to help your developers implement RESTful applications. You definitely need to provide guidance to your people. What you want to do is work to the point where REST becomes the default for all your distributed applications."

I certainly disagree with her time lines, but am glad she has seen the light on REST.

I'm very excited about the post WS-* world. It is settled - to my delight, much sooner than I predicted. This only reinforces my feeling that we are at a major strategic inflection point.

Wow.

What's next?

Via Mark Baker who really does deserve a trophy or some such.

Update Fixed date.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

That article was pretty accurate, but don't read too much into it. Yes, Anne sees the power of REST, and yes she sees it as inevitable. But she is not advocating that organizations drop WS-* just yet.