Monday, October 16, 2006

Celtic Wisdom

My mother is a voracious reader. She is into Celtic Christianity. I'm not terribly religious (in an organized way anyhow), but I dig the stuff she tells me about Celtic Christianity. It is apparently more in tune with nature which suits me fine.

Take this quote, for example from a book she read named Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom

There is a lovely anecdote from the Munster region about a man who had died. As the Soul left the body, it went to the door of the house to begin its journey back to the eternal place. But the Soul looked back at the now empty body and lingered at the door. Then it went back and kissed the body and talked to it. The Soul thanked the body for being such a hospitable place for its life journey and remembered the kindnesses the body had shown it during life. page 209

She read that to me when she was in town. I thought about it a couple times since she left so I had her look it up for me. I figured it was worth sharing. Profound eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The syncretism of mixing Christianity into the existing Celtic spirituality is quite interesting. Kudos to your mom. The disadvantage of a culture dominated by one religion is that others, which may work better for some folk, get lost.

Which reminds me of a quote I received via one of those viral emails recently: "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "Whoo what a ride"."