Wednesday, December 06, 2006

OSDL Layoff

OSDL had a layoff the other day.

I have gotten to know a number of these fine people. They have been very good to me. I wish them luck. There are some good people left - Mike Temple and Tom Hanrahan certainly know stuff.

I also wish Stuart Cohen luck in his new venture. I certainly share his enthusiasm for it . . . its just a tough nut to crack (speaking from experience).

Not nearly as complicated as sharing code amongst your peers via some predatory vendor (and only having access to the binaries - not the source), but large companies have a hard time groking this. And there are forces that don't want this to happen.

We just need some more success stories . . .

Linux has won - some people just don't get that yet, but it won. Open Source still needs defenders and custodians like OSDL. Patents are obviously the next battle. Diane M. Peters knows a lot about that.

So I don't know if this is bad news or just a blip. My gut says its a blip. Times are changing . . . Linux won - old structures require change.

OSS is crawling up the stack . . . if Stewart has his way, the last big $$ maker will fall next. And then everyone will have to compete on business value rather then intellectual property lock in.

Wouldn't that be nice?

No comments: