Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Reading Books

I'm reading a couple books.

On the advice of Sacrificial Rabbit, I picked up a book named, Getting Things Done. Now I generally do "get a lot of things done" - all by myself. But my organization systems have crashed the last few months as I am working on more and more different things all at once. I'm looking for something new and people seem to be into this so what the heck! I'll let you know how it goes.

I also picked up Charlie Wilson's War ... "The extraordinary story of how the wildest man in congress and a rogue CIA agent changed the history of our times". I'm with Don Imus ... it is "The most unbelievable book". And its true! I picked it up at O'Hare for $5. Best $5 I have spent since $.25 draft night that one time in college where things got a bit out of control.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the GTD crowd too much like the XP crowd in their zeal. GETTING THINGS DONE IS THE BEST THING EVER!!!!! YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY WRAP YOUR ENTIRE LIFE AROUND IT OR YOU ARE STUPID AND DON'T CARE ABOUT GETTING THINGS DONE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it.

I think the largest part of the zeal is just how well it works for a lot of people. It is really easy to get caught up in the wonder of it all, because, assuming you do it right, and assuming the system works for you, it is truly amazing how you can in fact, get things done, done quickly, and there is very little in the slipping-through-the-cracks.

Of course, sometimes the zeal goes a little far, as sarge said.

At any rate XP has a lot of interesting things to say about development, just as GTD has a lot of things to say about organization. The fact that their users have zeal should be a hint that something is going on there.

-- Jonnay @ Sacrificial Rabbit